advertisement

Monday 27 April 2015

Peter Okoye Talks Fatherhood, Marriage, Clash With His Brothers & More

Peter Okoye had an interview with Vanguard’s Allure magazine, and he talks about his marriage, Kids, music and also the recent social media clash he had with his brother, Paul Okoye.
Interview excerpts below…
How it feels being married
It feels great. I won’t say I’m more responsible now because I have been responsible long before getting married. I have two kids. One way marriage has changed me is, I now know what our parents went through in raising us.
For me, I’m now more composed. I try not to worry too much. I’m more focused because I need to work hard to look after my family.
Has becoming a father changed his life or affected his career?
Yes, absolutely! My life has changed but it hasn’t affected my life. I still show my six packs. I still kiss people in the crowd. I still take my semi-nude pictures, travel etc. I’m still me and it’s all still part of the business.
Rumours of an impending P-Square split. True or Nah?
Not at all. We just had a minor quarrel just like everyone who has siblings would. We fight and make-up; we fought many times last year but we still go on stage and perform and nobody knows. I can’t come out and say Paul and I have never fought.
It’s like a couple who has been married for over 20 years would come out and say they have never fought. It’s
impossible; we are humans. It’s a normal thing.
Rumours of manager and brother, Jude, resigning
It’s the same thing; family quarrels. We argued and made-up. He didn’t resign. We are still working together
and, even when we quarrel, we don’t allow it to collide with business. There is a line drawn there.
Rumours of in-house tension between his wife Lola Omotayo and his brother Jude
Like I said, family fights. But we settle it in-house.
How He copes With Fame
Well, sometimes it limits us from doing stuf. I’m kind of an impulse shopper. I see something I like on the road while driving but I can’t stop to buy it. I love akara very much but I can’t even stop to buy it. Most times, its’ like from house to work and vice versa. I can’t take a walk and I’m used to walking with security. Somehow, it doesn’t make me a free person but it’s okay.
You guys portray an image of living luxurious lives with jets and lavish cars. How has this affected your image in the public eye?
It didn’t affect us. As a matter of fact, it made us even stronger. A lot of people think we are showing off but the truth is if we were not showing off, you would not know what we are worth. If you see me on okada, you won’t pay me ten million to come and do a concert. They say, everything we do – people post it; everything we have, we show off and that we are not Dangote. My dear, Dangote is not in showbiz. Whatever we do, we do because that’s the way it’s supposed to be. What we do is show-business. It’s a show and it’s business so that’s what we do.

Describe your personal style
I’m just me. To be honest, I don’t like people styling me because they never get me. If I’m doing it wrong, let me be. I am at a point that I want to wear what I’m comfortable with; not that they will give me something expensive or labeled and it doesn’t still fit. So, for me, anything that fits me is what I wear.
 Would you say that your style ideology goes for P-Square as a group?
My brother is worse (laughs). I can try to accept what I’m styled with but he won’t.

Twins usually share common traits. What would you say is the one thing you and Paul share as twins brothers aside from music?
I would say we share our line of ideas. Sometimes, when we go out and I want to buy an outfit, if I’m not so confident I’ll try it on Paul; if it looks good on him, it wil l look good on me.
What is your daily routine like? When do you go to bed, wake up etc.?
I don’t go to bed; I fall asleep (laughs) – meaning, I don’t have a particular bed time because most of our shows are at night. With the way we travel and time zones changing; with that, anytime sleep hits me, I just switch off my phone and tell them not to disturb me for the next three hours or so. I take my nap.
Secondly, I love picking up my kids from school, dressing them up, even bathing them – all by myself. I have domestic staff at home but I still love doing all that myself.

No comments: